Oldfields School Community Compact 2020-2021
All in the Oldfields community have a communal responsibility, as we continue to navigate these challenging and unprecedented times, to balance the health and safety needs of our community with the School’s core missions. To carry on the educational, academic, and service missions of our School while minimizing person-to-person transmission of COVID-19 and protecting those most vulnerable to the disease, Oldfields puts forth this 2020-2021 Community Compact that outlines our behavioral expectations for Oldfields students, faculty, staff, and residential community members as we reopen our living and learning as a campus community.
By joining us on campus during the 2020-2021 academic year, you agree to adhere to the expectations for physical distancing and public behavior detailed below. Further, you agree to adhere to strict physical distancing, use of facial coverings, and self-quarantining for the 14 days prior to your return to campus and/or the Oldfields campus community. We ask parents and families to discuss health and safety as it relates to off-campus spaces and personal relationships.
- As a member of the Oldfields community during the 2020-2021 academic year, that I am an important part of the Oldfields community and that we are stronger as a community when we all do our part to keep our campus safe.
- That the health and safety measures I am being asked to undertake are necessary to protect the health and safety of others in my community and beyond. I agree to abide by all federal, state, city, and Oldfields School mandates, policies, protocols, and procedures related to COVID-19, and I agree to participate in any required training.
- That violations of this Compact will be addressed by the appropriate members of administration, whose process is described below. I agree that, should the panel determine that my behavior jeopardized the health and safety of others in the Oldfields community, I may be directed to refrain from participating in any on-campus activities (while permitted to continue my academic program/daily responsibilities remotely), and my access to campus buildings may be restricted for a period of time as determined by the Task Force. I further agree that violations of the Compact may also be grounds for disciplinary review and action.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
- To collaborate with Oldfields on daily wellness checks with the provided mobile app (details to be distributed), daily temperature checks, monitoring for symptoms, being tested as recommended by health professionals, and tracking my contacts should I test positive, as part of my public service to protect my fellow Oldfields community members.
- To maintain appropriate (6 feet) physical distance from others whenever possible.
- To wear a facial covering when in any public or common areas, as well as during classes and meetings.
- To wash my hands frequently for at least 20 seconds throughout each day and before and after interactions with others.
- To use alcohol-based disinfectant wipes/solutions provided throughout campus buildings to clean surfaces with which I come into contact, including but not limited to desks and seats in classrooms.
- To be up-to-date on all vaccines.
- To receive a flu shot.
- To congregate only in designated outdoor and indoor areas of campus, wearing a facial covering, maintaining adequate physical distance, and complying with all signage.
- To sit only in seats designated and clearly marked as available in classrooms and other campus buildings.
- To follow procedures for entering and exiting campus buildings, which will be visible on signs near the entrances and exits of campus buildings.
TRAVEL AND GUESTS
- To follow off-campus and visitor protocols established by the Visitor Management Task Force.
- To refrain from entering a dormitory of which I am not a resident or to allow access to an individual who does not reside in my dormitory.
- To limit all unnecessary personal travel.
- If I must travel, I will follow the direction of the Health and Safety Task Force for permission to depart as well as re-entry protocols.
SOCIAL LIFE AND RECREATION
- To participate in Oldfields-sponsored activities or meetings while observing the physical distancing guidelines and other COVID-19-related safety protocols adopted by the School.
- To refrain from attending events, parties, or other social gatherings off-campus that may cause safety risks to me and other members of the community.
- To limit my off-campus activities and when off campus to wear a mask, and to observe all physical distancing guidelines and other COVID-19-related safety protocols adopted by the School and surrounding area.
The expectations for Oldfields community members in the Compact are guided by our core values essential to every member of the Oldfields community in the 2020-2021 academic year. We recognize that these challenging and unprecedented times call for changes in how we conduct both our institutional operations and our own lives. Oldfields’ core values remain constant, but these very values call for temporary changes which are necessary to protect everyone—our students, faculty, staff, and community—to the best of our abilities. To provide everyone on campus with a reasonable sense of security, we must all agree—and know that everyone else on campus has agreed—to abide by certain behavioral guidelines. These guidelines may be modified and further specified over time as changes require.
Oldfields is committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our students, staff, faculty, and surrounding community. Therefore, all members of the Oldfields community and visitors will be required to wear facial coverings and to maintain appropriate physical distance in campus buildings, on campus, and in the broader Oldfields community. These spaces include all administrative, academic, housing/dining, and recreational buildings on campus, as well as outside green spaces and the barns. Individuals experiencing symptoms of illness (e.g., fever, coughing, shortness of breath, etc.) will be required to follow recommendations of the Health Center or other health professionals.
Health and Safety Task Force
As a public health response group, the Task Force is comprised of staff and faculty members with expertise in public health and student life. Any member of the Oldfields community may bring an alleged violation of the Compact to the panel for its review. The Task Force will gather the information it needs to assess whether a violation of the Compact has occurred, the seriousness of the violation, whether prior violations have taken place, and other relevant circumstances to determine the appropriate public health response. As part of this information-gathering process, one or more members of the Task Force will interview the student/faculty/staff member charged with a violation, as well as any witnesses, and may also review relevant documents and other available information.
The Task Force will act quickly after completing its review of the information. There is no appeal for the public health response determined by the panel, as these decisions are being made to protect the health and safety of the community as a whole.
I agree to follow the guidelines outlined above to protect the safety of the Oldfields Community: