Frequently Asked Questions

1. Whom should I contact if I have questions about enrollment (or anything else for that matter!) that are not addressed below?

Over the summer, the Registrar is your main point of contact and will be happy to answer your questions or direct you to someone who can. Contact us at or 443-662-1083.

Upon your daughter's arrival at Oldfields, she will be assigned an advisor who will be your first point of contact and a direct link between you and the School. You can go to your daughter’s advisor with anything! Each advisor has 3-5 students for whom they act as a surrogate parent, academic coach, and all-around-go-to adult. And remember, the advisors are there for parents, too!

2. Where do I begin, and when do I need to finish the Oldfields Enrollment process?

You are at the perfect place to get started right now! The Oldfields Enrollment page has all the information and links you need to make it happen. Reading the information below BEFORE diving in will make the process go even smoother!

Step 1: All students and parents need to complete the Enrollment Forms and Magnus Health Forms by July 15. If you are enrolling after that date, please complete as quickly as possible. Students will not be allowed to stay on campus if the necessary forms are not completed.
Step 2: All Contracts for Additional Services (Riding, Academic Strategies Program, etc.) and the International Student Health Insurance Form are due by July 15.

3. When do I need to arrive on campus?*

  • August 22 - All students arrive.
  • August 23 - Orientation
  • August 24 - First day of classes

* Dates subject to change.

4. How are roommates assigned?

Many factors go into our decision of which girls room together and in what dorm. Completing the Roommate Questionnaire is the best way to help us place you in the best situation! The Roommate Questionnaire is part of the student enrollment forms.

5. What supplies should I bring? 

All students should bring basic school supplies.

Athletic Supply List:
  • Soccer - cleats, shin guards
  • Volleyball - knee pads, sneakers, black spandex shorts
  • Tennis - racquet, tennis sneakers
  • Cross Country - running shoes, spikes (optional)
  • Dance - black leotard and black leggings required, pink ballet shoes and tights are a plus, but not required
  • Basketball - indoor basketball shoes
  • Indoor/Outdoor Track - running shoes, spikes -a plus, but not required
  • Lacrosse - stick, cleats, goggles, and mouthguard
  • Badminton - racquet, sneakers
  • Softball - glove, cleats
Boarding students should refer to the
Dorm Supply List: 

Bed Items: regular twin sheets, blanket(s), pillow(s), comforter or bed covering, waterproof mattress cover
Bath Items: towels, washcloths, a robe, and personal toiletries
Miscellaneous: clothes hangers, laundry baskets that are easily carried, desk lamp, alarm clock, fan (no air conditioning in the dorms), multiple outlet safety strip, hand vacuum like a Dustbuster, small refrigerator, flashlight with batteries, posters and decorations for walls, tacky tape, first aid kit, water bottle, zip lock bags, non-perishable snacks, a microwavable mug, plate, and bowl, in addition to a fork, spoon, and knife.

Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) will be required. PPE information pending.

No heating elements or candles of any kind are allowed in the dorm!

6. What electronic device do I need to bring?

Oldfields is a “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) program which requires students to bring a mobile device (other than a smartphone) to school each day for use in the classroom. Acceptable examples include:

  • Tablets with a full-size keyboard
  • PC laptops
  • Mac laptops 

The devices must have the ability to take photographs; record audio and video; word process; upload and download media; and transmit or receive messages or images with Wi-Fi capabilities. It is required that mobile devices be configured to Oldfields campus network.

A smartphone is not considered to be an acceptable device for the BYOD academic program, although there may be times when it is utilized in the classrooms as a supplemental technology tool.

*The Oldfields Technology Department can only support devices that have all its software in the English language.

All laptops must have up-to-date antivirus software with a full support subscription for the student’s time at Oldfields through graduation.

For more information, contact:

Tiffany L. Harrison
Director of Technology

7. How is tuition paid?

Tuition is billed on or near July 1. Payment may be made in full directly to Oldfields School. If you have any questions you may contact, Business Office Administrator Mary Katherine Koehler at 443-662-1012 or via email at For our international students, you may reach out to Mrs. Koehler regarding the available payment methods.

Domestic students may utilize a payment plan using FACTS, referenced in your Enrollment contract. Only tuition may be paid through FACTS; the technology fee is due with your enrollment deposit and is to be paid directly to Oldfields School.

FACTS offers several payment plans. The 9-month option started on May 1 and the 6-month option begins August 1. All payments must remain current with FACTS, otherwise, your account will be considered delinquent.

8. How does the School debit system work for spending allowance and expenses?

All charges other than tuition and the technology fee are paid out of the funds that are placed by you in your daughter’s Oldfields debit account. You will make deposits into your daughter’s school debit account to cover fees associated with Riding, the Academic Strategies Program, Herky’s School Store, etc. The billing office will send an updated debit account statement on a monthly basis. It is your responsibility to ensure that there is enough cash on hand in the account to cover related expenses that are due each month.

The descriptions below are some of the charges that you may see listed on the student’s debit account statement which is emailed to you at the end of each month. The debit account is meant to be fully funded at all times to support any charges that may occur. Oldfields reserves the right to deny allowance withdrawals or charges due to a lack of funds. A worksheet with further details is included in the Enrollment Forms. Types of debits include:

Allowance – money released to your daughter on a weekly basis for her personal spending on or off campus. Her allowance can accrue from one week to the next if she does not withdraw the full weekly amount. The maximum allowed per week is $50.
Herky’s School Store/Unrestricted – the amount the parent specifies that the student can spend in the School Store for all items. We do not recommend limiting this category since it covers school supplies.
Herky’s School Store/Restricted – the amount the parent specifies that the student can spend on the purchase of food items, drinks, and apparel. Some parents choose to set a monthly limit in this category.
Activities – fees for private music lessons, May Program, and a few school activities. Most school activities are covered in your comprehensive fee, but occasionally there is an additional fee for a special weekend trip. We do not recommend limiting this area. The girls know in advance if there is a charge for any activity. Music lessons and May Program require a signed contract by the parent before any debits are made.
Riding Program – All charges for the Riding Program are run through the debit account. A signed contract by the parent is required before any debits are made.
Extraordinary Funds – used to release money to a student outside of her normal allowance limit. If your daughter requires extra money for a weekend, is participating in a School fundraiser, or needs to reimburse another party, this category will be used along with a notation that states why the money is being released. In most cases, this will require parental permission.
Miscellaneous – covers testing fees, special apparel such as class t-shirts, and transportation to/from doctor’s appointments, airports, or train stations. 
Please note that we do require an email from a parent before we release extra money to a student. Limitations in categories such as Allowance or Restricted School Store may be changed at any time by the parent.
For more information, contact Mary Katherine Koehler, at 443-662-1012 or at

Still, need help?

Mary Kate Thompson

Back to Enrollment >

Revised June 22, 2020