History of Oldfields
Anna Austen McCulloch established Oldfields in 1867 when she began educating her children, their cousins, and a few local children in her home, now known as Old House, which is now the main administrative building. From the beginning, Anna McCulloch was described as a woman of “large humanity with the curiosity to know, an appreciation for excellence, sympathy for goodness, and charity for error.” Her curiosity and dedication to excellence led her to emphasize the sciences and physical vigor, long before many other girls’ schools. Oldfields has been ahead of our time since 1867! Mrs. McCulloch’s influence can be felt today in all aspects of life at Oldfields and is best expressed in the sense of family, mission, philosophy, and a culture of kindness.