Student leader, DEI Committee
Jadisha is Ecuadorian and was born here in the US. Living on the border of East Orange and Newark, New Jersey, Jadisha comes from a small family, with both sets of grandparents at the center.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Oldfields Diversity Statement
At Oldfields, each girl’s success is enhanced as we celebrate the personal experiences that often are informed by socio-economic status, race, age, nationality, ideology, sexual orientation, gender identity, expression and ethnicity.
We honor and respect the opportunity to learn and grow from the multitude of valuable life experiences and personal beliefs from every member of our community. The community is committed to a continuously active and innovative process of creating a welcoming, inclusive, and safe environment for everyone.
Oldfields Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Action Plan:
- Commit to listen to and value the lived experiences and truths of our students, alumni, and community members. We must be willing to reflect and acknowledge how we've fallen short as a community if we are to create and implement strategies to improve campus culture and create a truly inclusive environment.
Head of School’s Letter to Oldfields Community. read More
Letter from Head of School, Board Chair, and President of Alumni Association; The Power of Words, New Mission Statement/ Use of "Alumni." Read more
- Move immediately to expand membership to the Board of Trustees before the 2020-2021 school year begins (August 22, 2020), ensuring that new appointed candidates reflect the full diversity of Oldfields School—specifically including trustees of color. Additionally, as part of the committee defined below, review and re-imagine the board nominations process to ensure that such diversity remains central to board governance. Recent Update: Four New Trustees Join the Board. read more
- Create a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEI) at the board level and charge the DEI Committee to develop a three-year DEI Action Plan for Oldfields School. Members of the Committee will include trustees, administrators, faculty, staff, alumni, and professionals with expertise in DEI. The Committee will look at policies and strategies related to trustee candidacy, hiring educators, student recruitment and retention, curriculum, student and employee handbooks, and the Oldfields experience for each girl. Recent Update: DEI Committee Created on October 9, 2020. read more
As the work of this new committee mentioned above begins, we will implement the following changes immediately:
- Provide increased training for the Senior Leadership Team and a commitment to training for all faculty, staff, and students this fall. This training will address implicit bias, microaggressions, and provide strategies to help members of this community recognize and counteract biases and blind spots.
Recent Updates: Implicit Bias Form Rolled Out, Ongoing Faculty, Staff, Student Workshops.
- a global search to hire a full-time Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion who will focus on student support, educational programs, and training for all constituents—in addition to providing counsel to the work of the Board DEI Committee. Recent Updates: Search Firm Hired. READ MORe
- Add Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to the Strategic Plan. While the work of the DEI Committee will ultimately inform Oldfield's strategic approach, our plan must commit to establishing metrics that equip us to monitor progress.
Meet a few of the students and educators leading Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts on campus and within our community.
Student leader, DEI Committee
Trustee, Chair of DEI Board Committee
Jennevee Frias Crespo ‘01 joined the Oldfields Board in August, 2020. She chairs the DEI Committee and actively works with administrators and faculty to move the school forward in our equity work.
DEI Board Committee
Mary Kate is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work. She organizes much of the DEI programming here at Oldfields, partnering with The Wells Collective for our community’s continuing professional development.
Co-Director of DEI Committee
Shawn serves as the Theatre Teacher/Director, teaches AP Language and Composition, is the Co-Director of DEI Committee, serves on the DEI Board Committee (and leader of the Student Life and Restorative Justice sub-committee) and is a dorm parent. Her passion for activism began during the AIDS crisis.